The new academic year continues to present challenges for those who wish to enrich their studies with international experience. Unfortunately, the coronavirus is still restricting international travel and as a result many study visits have to be rearranged. Please bear in mind that complications arising from the COVID-19 pandemic are not considered a force majeure event anymore. We therefore advise you to seriously consider the necessity of travel during the autumn semester before making any expenses related to the study visit. We will do our best to help you find solutions in these exceptional circumstances. If you have any questions, please contact the coordinator of the scholarship you’re interested in.
Advice for planning study visits during the COVID-19 pandemic
Due to the uncertainty caused by the pandemic, we advise you to critically evaluate the necessity of travel and the risks related to it.
If travel is essential, please consider the following aspects while planning your trip:
- Conditions of entry are different depending on your destination (e.g. possible restrictions for entering the country). You can find more information on the webpage of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (https://vm.ee/en) or directly from the embassy.
- The self-isolation requirements change in time (if and how long you are required to self-isolate on arrival). We recommend you keep yourself updated about the requirements at your destination to make sure you have the most recent information before departure.
- The working arrangements of the host institution can change rapidly (possible access restrictions; implementation of distance learning etc). Please note that the scholarships can only be used if the study and/or research activity takes place on campus.
- Please note that if your study visit is cut short or cancelled, the scholarship has to be repaid.
- Ask insurance companies about the different options for insuring your trip.
- Prefer flexible options when booking your accommodation and transport.
- Register your stay abroad on the web page of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (https://reisitargalt.vm.ee/registreerimine/).
- If the scholarship contract has been signed but your travel plans change, please inform the scholarship coordinator about this immediately.