The applications which meet the criteria are assessed by sectoral experts. Each application is assessed by at least two experts.
Experts evaluate the applications based on the following aspects:
- Is the goal of the study periods abroad clear and convincingly reasoned?
- Is the applicant motivated and has worked on the application thoroughly?
- Is the work plan well elaborated, reasonable and achievable?
- How well does the chosen foreign institution suit for studying in this field?
- Is the letter of recommendation relevant and convincing?
- What is the added value for Estonia arising from this study periods abroad?
The board allocates the scholarships based on the aggregate scores given by the experts. It is within the board's discretion to decide which applications should be supported. If there are several applications with an equal score, but the budget does not allow to support all of them, the board may prefer the applications from fields and higher education institutions that are less represented. The decision to allocate scholarships is fixed in the minutes of the board meeting.
The assessment procedure takes up to two months from the date of the announced application deadline.