Frequently asked questions

IMPORTANT: from 1 August 2020, the Kristjan Jaak scholarships are managed by the Education and Youth Board of Estonia. Please visit the webpage of the Board to find out more about these scholarships. The information on the current page is not being updated.


Q: What should a letter of confirmation from the university abroad be like?

A: We require a copy of the formal letter of confirmation sent by post or e-mail. With the application we may also accept an excerpt from e-mail exchange with the host insitutions proving that relations with the university/supervisor have been established. In the case like this we expect the formal letter of confirmation issued by the university to be submitted before the contract can be signed. 

Q: What should a letter of confirmation from an Estonian organisation be like?

A: We require a formal letter of confirmation signed by the person in charge of recruitment, which would declare that the organisation has a need for a specialist with a relevant doctoral degree. The document does not have to contain a statement that the organisation will provide employment to the applicant upon graduates as such commitment normally cannot be made. 


Q: Is it possible to apply if the MA studies have not been completed at the time of application?

A: In the case described it is possible to apply for the scholarship, provided that the studies in the doctoral program will begin in the autumn of the same year and the MA studies have been completed by the time. 


Q: Can I apply if I am already enrolled to the doctoral studies at the university abroad and would like to use the scholarship to continue my studies?

A: The scholarship can be applied for a continuation of the doctoral studies.

Last updated: 23.11.2021