The scholarship can be applied for by the Estonian citizens, by the persons staying in Estonia with permanent residence permit and foreigners who study at Estonian higher education institutions and who, at the moment of using the scholarship, are:
- Master's or PhD students;
- students who study at integrated curricula and who have completed at least 180 ECTS of the curriculum by the time of the study visits.
The scholarship cannot be applied for by the persons:
- who study at Master's or Doctoral studies at an Estonian higher education institution and who wish to suspend their studies here to continue studies only at a university abroad;
- who study at a university abroad and wish to apply for scholarship for student exchanges in some other university abroad;
- who apply for the scholarship for studying in lower educational levels (for example a PhD student for Master's studies);
- who apply for the scholarship for studying at the same educational level for the second time (for example a second Master's degree), except in exceptional cases.